October 1, 2021 | Recipies
Bring all the fall flavours to your table with our Swiss Farmer Sausage and Maple Squash Flatbread recipe. It’s perfect for a grown up pizza night while taking advantage of all the colourful in season produce at your local supermarket.
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into ¼ -inch thick pieces
- 3 Tbsp (30 ml) pure maple syrup, divided
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package Freybe’s Swiss Farmer Sausage, cut into ¼-inch (0.5 cm) rounds
- ¼ small red onion cut into thin slices
- ¾ cup (175 ml) whole milk ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh thyme leaves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) finely shredded aged gouda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) finely sliced Swiss chard leaves
- ¼ cup (60 ml) toasted and coarsely chopped unsalted pecans
Preheat oven to 450 F (232 C). Let pizza dough stand at room temperature while roasting squash.
In a large bowl, toss together squash with 2 tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup, 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Spread it in a single layer on a large, parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Set aside while preparing pizza dough.
Reduce oven temperature to 425 F (218 C).
Dust another large, rimmed baking sheet with cornmeal. On a lightly floured work surface, roll or stretch pizza dough into a ¼ -inch (0.5 cm) thick oval. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Top with roasted squash, rounds of Freybe’s Swiss Farmers Sausage, red onion, tablespoonfuls of ricotta, thyme leaves and aged gouda. Bake until crust is golden brown and crisp, about 25 to 30 minutes.
While flatbread bakes, in a large bowl whisk together remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup with 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and apple cider vinegar until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chopped Swiss chard and toss to coat in dressing. Top warm flatbread with dressed chard and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cut into pieces and serve while warm.
Serves 4 to 6